Turkey Day Game festivities kick into high gear next week at Kirkwood High School.
In anticipation of the 2011 century old bout, KHS students and alumni will begin the “Turkey Day Game” countdown. Be a part of the historic rivalry by staying up-to-date on all the events surrounding Turkey Day Game 2011.
KHS Spirit Week – Nov. 21-25
Monday, Nov. 21
- Tacky Day: KHS students and staff wear orange and black, Webster’s colors, to school.
- Hall Decorating (3:30-9 p.m.): KHS clubs and grade levels decorate the halls with spectacular displays emphasizing a Turkey Day theme and team pride.
Tuesday, Nov. 22
- Spirit Day: Students and staff wear the school colors red and white to show “Pioneer Pride.”
- KHS Pep Assembly (1:40-2:40 p.m.): In the Varsity Gym/Dave Holley Assembly Hall.
Wednesday, Nov. 23, 5:30-8 p.m. –
- Kirkwood School District Foundation Turkey Day Chili Bowl Cook-Off (5-8:30 p.m.): KSD Foundation will host the 15th annual Turkey Day Chili Bowl Cook-Off in the KHS Denver Miller Gym. Community members are invited to sample chili prepared by area restaurants and vote for the best chili in town. Event title sponsors are Mike Duffy’s Pub and Grill and Great Harvest Bread Company. The booster sponsor is Jim Butler AutoGroup. Tickets purchased in advance are $6 for adults and $4 for students, K-12; tickets at the door are $1 more. Advance tickets are on sale now at all KSD school offices and the Kirkwood School District's central office. Proceeds from the KSDF Chili Bowl Cook-Off benefit KSD students and staff.
- Pep Rally and Bonfire (7-9 p.m.): Pep Rally in KHS Varsity Gym/Dave Holley Assembly Hall followed by traditional bonfire on the field at Chopin and Dougherty Ferry Road.
Thursday, Nov. 24
- Turkey Day Football Alumni Breakfast: KHS Pioneer football alumni and friends gather with the 2011 KHS Football Pioneer team members for breakfast in the KHS cafeteria. The KHS Football Alumni sponsor the event.
- Thanksgiving Day and Turkey Day Game (12 p.m.): Kickoff for the main event—the Turkey Day Game—is at noon at Lyons Field at Kirkwood High School.
Friday, Nov. 25
- KHS Soccer Alumni Games (12 p.m.): All KHS soccer alumni and friends are invited to play or cheer from the sidelines in the annual Coach Frank Czapla Memorial Soccer Game. Alumni will meet at Frank Czapla Field. Two games (men's and women's) will be played simultaneously on the upper field and the stadium turf field. The cost is $15 and includes a long-sleeve T-shirt. Proceeds from the games benefit all KHS soccer programs. For game and ticket information, contact Phil Cotta, KHS soccer coach, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 314-213-6100, ext. 1213.
- Kirkwood-Webster Alumni Football Game (2 p.m.): KHS and WGHS football alumni are invited to participate in the 5th annual Kirkwood-Webster Alumni Football Game to be held at KHS Lyons Field at 2 p.m. RSVP to Matt Lechner at email@example.com or all 314-832-2069.
Friday, Nov. 25
- KHS Water Polo Alumni Games (3:30 p.m.): All KHS water polo alumni and friends are invited to participate in the annual Turkey Day Water Polo Game to be held at St. Louis Community College Meramec. Warms-ups are at 2:45 p.m. with the game scheduled for 3:30 p.m. To register for the game, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 314-822-0221.
- Now-Nov. 25
Student Council Football Sales for Muscular Dystrophy Association: The KHS Student Council sponsors a friendly competition between KHS and WGHS students to see which school can raise the most funds for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. Student Council members at both schools sell paper MDA footballs for $1 for several weeks before the big Turkey Day Game. The high school that raises the most money is announced during halftime at the Turkey Day Game. In addition to the competition between the two high schools, the grade levels at KHS compete. The grade-level winner receives a trophy during the Turkey Day Pep Assembly held in the KHS Varsity Gym/Dave Holley Assembly Hall on Spirit Day.
For more information on Kirkwood Turkey Day activities, visit the Kirkwood School District's website.