A new, 75,000-square-foot Dierbergs store has opened in Des Peres. Although it is not its size, but its features, what store owners say make the new supermarket “not a typical Dierbergs.”
The store, located on the south side of Manchester Road, one mile east of I-270, officially opened with a ribbon cutting ceremony Tuesday morning.
“It looks like a Dierbergs. It feels like a Dierbergs. But this is not a typical Dierbergs,” said Dierbergs press release on the new store. “ And that was the plan from the beginning.”
The new store will offer a bigger deli, as well as covered parking with energy-efficient light features and a “Farmers Market Hall,” which will emphasize locally grown produce. In addition, Dierbergs is dedicating approximately 23 percent of its acreage to landscaped green space.
“When we opened our Arnold store in 2008, we introduced a variety of energy-management programs, like enclosed beer and dairy cases, and energy efficient, motion-controlled LED lighting, all of which can be found in our Des Peres location,” said Greg Dierberg, president and CEO of the company, in a press release. “We build on our sustainability efforts with every new store.”
These are the new features of the store, as listed in a Dierbergs press release:
- Three French Hens: The popular Wildwood boutique, known for European antiques, home furnishings and accessories, is opening a store in a shared space with Dierbergs Florist and Gifts, the No. 1 FTD florist in Missouri.
- Cheese Monger: A full-time cheese monger oversees an expanded domestic and international cheese section.
- Dry Aged Beef: The store will offer premium steak cuts of dry-aged beef, in addition to its all-natural line of USDA Choice, Midwest Raised Angus Beef.
- St. Luke’s Convenient Care: An in-store facility staffed by nurse practitioners to treat minor illnesses and injuries, open 7 days a week.
- Wellness Programs: A dedicated on-site Wellness Team, comprising representatives from Dierbergs Pharmacy, St. Luke’s Convenient Care, Dierbergs Whole Life Department and Dierbergs Culinary Event Center. The group is charged with a variety of wellness initiatives, from healthy-eating programs to culinary assistance for individuals with specific dietary restrictions.
- Remote Pharmacy Drive-Thru: Set up in the covered parking area, the drive-thru uses video cameras for consultation with the Dierbergs pharmacists.
- The Evening Tap: Wine by the glass and bottled beer sold from 5:30 pm. until 8:30 p.m. daily on the mezzanine.
- Try a Wine before You Buy the Bottle: Wine-tasting dispensers provide an opportunity to purchase 1 oz., 2 oz. and 4 oz. samples. At any one time, the in-store sampling list comprises 28 wines.
- Live Music: Mezzanine-level entertainment on Friday and Saturday evenings from 5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Dine-In or Carryout Opportunities:
- Bento Asian Grill and Sushi Bar: Family-owned, locally owned Bento Sushi, Dierbergs’ company-wide Sushi Chefs, expanded its operations to include a variety of Asian dishes takeout or enjoyment on the Mezzanine-level dining area.
- Paninis and Pizzettas: Freshly baked in Dierbergs’ Turbo Chef ovens for preparation in 3 – 5 minutes.
- Bob’s BBQ: Dierbergs Des Peres store is the latest location for apple- and cherry-wood smoked barbecue, smoked fresh daily in a smoker on the lot.
- Hand-Tossed Salads and Baked Subs round out an ever-expanding kitchen menu.
- European Bakery: Dierbergs third, this newest is staffed by Dierbergs European pastry chef Katrina Meredith.
- Chris Cakes Pancakes: All you can eat pancakes on Saturday mornings from 7 a.m. – 11 a.m., featuring the flippin’ fun of Chris Cakes, beginning August 11th.
Dierbergs Culinary Event Center:
- The facility will be managed by Culinary Event Center Chef Marianne Moore, who comes to Dierbergs from St. Louis’ Four Seasons Hotel.
- The Culinary Event Center houses Dierbergs sixth cooking school, with counter and table seating to accommodate 34 participants.
- With six in the St. Louis area, Dierbergs operates more cooking schools in one market than any other U.S. retailer.
- Multiple LCD screens for up-close cooking demonstration viewing for all class participants.
- Wi-Fi and interactive capabilities for Skype wine tastings and cooking demonstrations with nationally recognized chefs.
- The facility can host private events, birthday parties, wedding and baby showers, corporate meeting and team-building cooking activities.
- Facility will serve as working set kitchen for Dierbergs cooking shows and social media-based recipe programs.