Thieves broke into six vehicles Thursday night, making off with electronics, cash and a firearm, according to the .
Five of the thefts occurred in a Kirkwood neighborhood near the intersection of North Geyer Road and West Essex Avenue. Suspects broke into vehicles in the:
- 400 block of Way Avenue,
- 500 block of Central Place,
- 400 block of Burns Avenue,
- 600 block of Knierim Place and
- 500 block of East Monroe Avenue.
Residents began reporting the crimes to police at 6:39 a.m. Friday. Suspects also stole sunglasses and cigarettes, according to police.
The Kirkwood Police Department offers the following tips to residents to prevent thefts from vehicles:
- Never leave a car unlocked no matter where it is parked;
- never leave anything visible in a car that might pique the interest of a thief;
- be especially vigilant when parking at daycares, as thieves are known to target cars when parents “run in” to drop off their children; and
- exercise caution when parking in large lots, as thieves can watch patrons enter a store and calculate how long they have to check out a car undetected.