In order to keep kids safe this Halloween night, the Kirkwood Police Department issued the following safety tips via City of Kirkwood Facebook.
- Cross only at corners.
- Never cross between parked cars.
- Walk facing the oncoming traffic if there is no sidewalk.
- Always remove masks before crossing streets.
- Be aware of cars that may be turning into or backing out of driveways.
- Never go into a stranger's house.
- Know the route your children will be taking.
- Make sure children are accompanied by an adult.
- Know what other activities your child may be attending, such as parties.
- Set time limits on when your child should return home.
- Explain to your children the difference between tricks and vandalism.
- Instruct your children NOT to eat treats until they return home and you have had a chance to inspect those treats.
- Be made of flame retardant material.
- Be made of brightly colored material.
- Include a flashlight or reflective strips on the costume, so that children can be seen.
- Not include high heel shoes or long dangling pieces that a child may trip over.
- Remove all obstacles from your lawns and steps to prevent children from being injured.
- Have lights on, both inside and outside, of your house, to prevent vandalism and to prevent injuries to little ghosts and goblins.
- Drive cautiously on Halloween Evening
- Excited youngsters may forget some of these safety rules and dart out in front of your car.