Wednesday, October 26, 2011
See how to use Kirkwood Patch's free events calendar to spread the word about a community event.
- THE NEIGHBORHOOD FILES
- Owen Skoler
Wednesday, October 26, 2011
There are things happening all over Kirkwood, Des Peres, Glendale and Oakland every day and it's impossible for one person to know about all of them. You can help make this site a better representation of what's going on in the community by adding the events you know about to our calendar–for free. The video above explains how posting a free event works--and it's incredibly easy. Here's a step-by-step guide: You can also post announcements to Kirkwood Patch for free. Click here to learn how. If you have trouble posting an event or announcement, email email@example.com.
Thursday, June 16, 2011
We're coaxing you to laugh, play outdoors and enjoy life this weekend!
MAPLEWOOD U.S. CELLULAR DEVICE DAY: SMARTPHONE 101 Where/When: U.S. Cellular, 1819 Maplewood Commons Dr.; 8-10 a.m. Saturday. Why Go: Is your phone too smart for you? For those who need help figuring out their smartphones, the expert associates at U.S. Cellular will help you, even if U.S. Cellular is not your provider. Nice. Pricing: Free OPERA THEATRE OF ST. LOUIS: THE DEATH OF KLINGHOFFER Where/When: Loretto-Hilton Center, 130 Edgar Rd, Webster Groves; 8 p.m. Friday, 7 p.m. Sunday. Why Go: The opera is based on the true story of the hijacking of the Achille Lauro by Palestinian terrorists and the subsequent murder of a passenger. Music is by Pulitzer Prize-winning composer John Adams, conducted by Michael Christie and staged by OTSL's …
Thursday, June 9, 2011
Fun is on tap this weekend. Enjoy!
THE ALTERNATIVE Where/When: Crestwood Aquatic Center, Whitecliff Park, 9245 Whitecliff Park Ln.; 6:30-10 p.m. Friday. Why Go: Supervised fun for youth ages 11-16 is what this 'alternative' event is all about. Admission fee includes pizza, popcorn and soda. Participants can swim and enjoy music provided by a DJ. Gates remain open until 8 p.m. The lock-in format means anyone leaving prior to closing will not be allowed to return. Co-sponsored by the Crestwood Police and the Crestwood Parks and Recreation Department. Open to residents and non-residents. Pricing: $6 GERMAN FEST Where/When: Sunset Hills Aquatic Center, 12512 W Watson Rd.; food will be sold starting at 5 p.m., musical entertainment begins at 6 p.m. Saturday. Why Go: The annual…
Thursday, June 2, 2011
Look at these fabulous possibilities for your weekend fun. Now just shut the door and get out!
ART AND AIR: WEBSTER GROVES OUTDOOR AIR FAIR Where/When: E. Lockwood and N. Bompart Ave. in the heart of Webster Groves; 6-10 p.m. Friday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday and noon-5 p.m. Sunday. Why Go: Check out the amazing works of art by juried artists plus there's plenty of food, musical entertainment and creative activities for the family. Pricing: Free STLCC-MERAMEC PRESENTS SHELLS, NESTS AND CORNERS: OPENING RECEPTION Where/When:Meramec Contemporary Art Gallery, STLCC’s Meramec campus, 11333 Big Bend Rd.; 5:30-8 p.m. Friday Why Go: Explore the interpretations of six artists rethinking how we occupy everyday spaces. Featuring the work of Carlie Trosclair, John Early, Nick Hutchings, R.C. Sayler, Garbriela Salazar and Jonggeon Lee. Curated…
Thursday, May 12, 2011
This week's list is eclectic, fun and an excuse to get out!
FREEDOM FIGHTERS BARBECUE Where/When: Midas, 1117 Gravois Rd., Fenton; 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. Why Go: Support the Freedom Fighters goal of erecting a Missouri State statue to honor Missouri's soldiers who have lost their lives in Afghanistan and Iraq. Pricing: Nominal fee for the food DEUTSCHE MARQUE ALL GERMAN CAR SHOW Where/When: Springdale Park, 2280 S Old Highway 141, Fenton; 9 a.m. parking begins, 10 a.m. show starts. Why Go: Cast your vote on different makes and models of German cars, get a photo with Miss Deutsche Marque and enjoy barbecue by folks from PawStoppers. Local musicians provide entertainment. Proceeds help keep Special Agent German Shepherds on the prowl by funding PAW Stoppers, an organization that trains and assists …
Thursday, May 5, 2011
Wow! We've got a fun pool of activities to dive into this weekend.
1. ART FAIR AT LAUMEIER Where/When: Laumeier Sculpture Park, 12580 Rott Rd, Sunset Hills; 6-10 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday. Why Go: The nationally known art and craft fair is a juried show and prestigious event with something for everyone. Highlights are musical entertainment including the Sunset Hills Music Festival, the Art on the Vine wine tasting and hands-on art activities for kids. Pricing: Admission is $8, $5 children ages 6-11, free for members and children younger than 6. The wine tasting event is $12 2. CASH FOR TRASH Where/When: Sunset Hills Community Center, 3915 S Lindbergh Blvd.; 9 a.m.-noon Saturday. Why Go: Get cash or pool passes for bringing aluminum cans and unwanted clothing. For …
Thursday, April 28, 2011
Rummage through this list and you'll find something to do in and around Kirkwood and Webster Groves this weekend.
1. MAPLEWOOD COFFEE CRAWL Where/When: Historic downtown Maplewood, 9 a.m.-noon Saturday. Why Go: Get your caffeine on and cultivate your coffee knowledge at the same time. This self-guided tour features coffee roasters demonstrating processes such as French Press, espresso and percolated. Maplewood coffee houses and local shops will offer complimentary treats. Pricing: Free 2. 2011 GREATER ST. LOUIS BOOK FAIR Where/When: Macy's lower level parking garage, 80 West County Center, Des Peres; 4-9:30 p.m. Thursday, which is opening night and includes an auction preview from 6:30-7:30 p.m., auction at 7:30; 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Friday; 9:oo a.m.-10 a.m. Saturday is shopping for persons with disabilities then 10-9:00 p.m. general admission; 11 a.m.- 6 …
Thursday, April 21, 2011
Celebratory and fun activities for you to consider this weekend.
1. BLUES CONCERT AND FISH BUFFET Where/When: Robbie's House of Jazz, 20 Allen Ave., Webster Groves; 7 p.m. Friday. Why Go: Keep it down-home-y with a fish buffet and the blues. Pricing: $10, $5 students with ID, $7 buffet 2. THE GOVERNMENT INSPECTOR Where/When: Loretto-Hilton Center, 130 Edgar Rd., Webster Groves; 8 p.m. Thursday-Saturday, 2 p.m. Sunday. Why Go: Locals get freaked out when an undercover government agent shows up in their small town. A production by Webster University’s Conservatory of Theatre Arts. Pricing: $12, $6 for senior adults and students 3. VINCENTENNIAL: THE LEGACY OF VINCENT PRICE Where/When: The Sheldon Galleries, 3648 Washington Blvd., mid-town; opening reception 6-8 p.m. Friday, exhibit runs through August 6…
Thursday, March 31, 2011
Here are some events to consider checking out this weekend.
1. SPRING FLING WINE TASTING Where/When: Saint Louis Cellars, 2640 S. Big Bend Blvd., Maplewood; noon-5 p.m. Saturday Why Go: More than 90 wines will be featured throughout the store for tasting. Also try samples from Mom's Originals Gourmet Pretzels, Billy Goat Potato Chip Co., Bissenger's Head Chocolatier and yes, Schlafly beer! Pricing: Free 2. WORLD PREMIERE OF "JOE'S PLACE: THE DOCUMENTARY" Where/When: Maplewood Richmond Heights Senior High School, 7539 Manchester Rd, Maplewood; 7 p.m. Saturday. This event is SOLD OUT! But wait, a new showing has been added for 2 p.m. Sunday, April 10, same location. Tickets go on sale Monday, April 4. Why Go: This hits close to home. A screening of filmmaker Matt Sielback's documentary about Joe's …
Thursday, March 24, 2011
Here's a few good excuses to get out this weekend.
1. Carnival of the Animals Family Concert Where/When: Powell Symphony Hall, 718 N. Grand Blvd., Grand Center mid-town arts district; 3 p.m. Sunday Why Go: Although it's recommended for children ages 5-12, the entire family will enjoy this animal parody featuring music by Mozart and Saint Saens. Pricing: $7-$16 2. Hare in the Air Egg Hunt Where/When: Logan College of Chiropractic, 1851 Schoettler Rd., Chesterfield; 10 a.m.-noon Saturday Why Go: Festivities include an appearance by Cardinal's mascot 'Fredbird' from 10-11 a.m., a bunny arriving by helicopter at 11 a.m., an egg hunt divided into different age groups, a petting zoo, balloon artists and McGruff the Crime Dog. The event starts at 10 a.m. with registration. Pricing: Free 3. Truman…